The Tucson Urban league (TUL) has a track record of providing quality childcare and after school programs for over 30 years in Tucson’s most impoverished neighborhoods. One strategic initiative of the Urban League is: Every American child is ready for college, work, and life. Our strategy focuses on developing a continuum of support for youth from cradle to post-secondary education opportunities or work by educating, advocating and collaboration.
The goals include:
- Expand initiatives designed to help close the achievement gap between minorities and their non-minority counterparts in area public school systems.
- Increase the participation of families in the education process of their children; and Increase the number of African American and Hispanic children enrolled in quality childcare and preschool programs.
Project YES provides a safe and constructive for low-income children in enrolled in our preschool, pre-kindergarten, and before and after-school programs.
Project Yes Afterschool and Pre-school Program goals include:
- Ensure all children enter school cognitively, physically, socially, and emotionally ready.
- Ensure all children read at grade level by 3rd grade.
- Improve appreciation of the value of community service and competence in making appropriate decisions when functioning in a variety of public/social situations.
- Provide safe and structured recreational activities that support social development of the children served.
- Ensure all children are prepared for kindergarten.
- Ensure all children are reading at grade level.
- Improved grades for struggling students.